Saturday 23 July 2011

Films I should try and get some sort of full review out for

Recently I've watched a few films, and in case I don't get around to giving them a proper look over, here's a few mini revs:
  • Sunshine - Startling pretty, this is a great movie. There is a tonal shift towards the end that did not bother me, but I can imagine others finding it jarring.
  • The Wrestler - Surprisingly simple and unpretentious, The Wrestler is a character study that somehow avoids cliche.
  • Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon - A movie for manchildren, full of hyperbolic stupidity and ridiculous setpieces. For myself, I had a good time.
  • Primer - An incredibly complex film, admittedly made worse by the director's intent to pack so much implicit information into each scene. It's an interesting flick, one that never outstays it's welcome or patronises you.
  • Mortal Kombat - Terrible, but damn did I have fun with it. Worth watching, if only for Christopher Lambert's perplexing sarcastic Raiden.
  • American Psycho - Very good. Great direction, blistering performance by Bale (who I don't like as an actor), very funny, very dark.
  • Hellraiser - Confused mishmash of cool concepts and jarring ones. A movie that can't quite decide what it wants to be, not even having the protagonist be the protagonist until halfway through the movie.
  • Milk - An engaging biopic that is well acted and has a great message. Just a pity I don't like biopics, especially ones so obviously messaged as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment